Usually the biggest support for this argument is that in order to break Walls you need to expend 4 Earthquake Spells, whereas you can use 2 Jump Spells with the same number of slots or a Jump Spell combined with Rage.
While true, it does not mean the Earthquake Spell is useless, as they are special in their own right. It is true however that you need 4 of them to break walls, and that’s the key feature of Earthquake spells, their damage on walls and ability to shatter them.
How exactly the Earthquake Spell works
The Earthquake Spell does percentage damage. Normal damage to everything, but also 4 times the damage on walls. The Earthquake Spell doesn’t just do 4 times the damage on walls, it combines the damage of a normal damage.
- One Level 4 EQ spell = 1 – 0.12 = 88% remaining
- Two Level 4 EQ spells = 0.88 – (0.88*.0.12) = 77.44% remaining
- Three Level 4 EQ spells = 0.7744 – (0.7744*0.12) = 68.15% remaining
- Four Level 4 EQ spells = 0.6815 – (0.6815*0.12) = 60.0% remaining
- One Level 4 EQ spell = 0.88 – (0.88*0.48) = 45.76% remaining
- Two Level 4 EQ spells = 0.4576 – (0.4576*0.48) = 23.8% remaining
- Three Level 4 EQ spells = 0.238 – (0.238*0.48) = 12.38%
- Four Level 4 EQ spells = Knock Out!
Regardless of the level, 4 Earthquake Spells will take out any level wall. And no less than that will break any walls. Must use exactly 4 of any level Earthquake Spells to remove walls. Four level 1 Earthquake Spells are able remove level 11 walls, same as level 4 walls.
The Earthquake Spell has a 3.5 tile radius, and can knock out 8 tiles of walls. Why 8? Because half a tile is rounded to one, thus 3.5 radius would be rounded to 4 and so the diameter length would be 8. However, this requires very good placement of the Earthquake Spell. Sometimes you will only be able to knock out 7 tiles of walls.
Diagonally, it can knock out 5 diagonally placed walls.
So what else really makes the Earthquake Spell more special than a Jump Spell?
- It does damage to surrounding buildings, excluding Storages. As I’ve mentioned, four lv 4 Earthquake Spells can deal a total of 40% damage to surrounding buildings. That means if if you place 4 of them next to X-Bows or Inferno Towers, you can severely weaken them, which is excellent.
- It funnels better, and can access the core easier. It destroys walls, and creates a large opening. So troops are more capable of getting inside. Jump Spell only provides a small opening, and has a higher rate of error as well as troops going off in different directions.
- The Earthquake Spell does permanent damage. The Jump Spell is only a temporary placement.
- There’s less drag. It takes time for all your troops to jump over the walls with the Jump Spell. While if you create a large opening, there’s no drag, all your troops will quickly and effortlessly get inside.
- And of course, it has a larger overall impact. It can demolish 8 straight-lined walls, and create an opening that is 7 to 8 tiles long. While the Jump Spell requires you encapsulate the whole walls, so it’s only effectively for jumping over 2 layers of walls if they are within 5 tiles, not 7.
So what are some good attack and spell combinations?
The conventional TH10 GoWiPe with 4x 1x 2x and 1x
5x + + high level Heroes + 4x 1x 2x and 1x
(yes Valkyries!) with 4x 1x 2x and 1x
What is the Earthquake Spell best utilized for?
- Specific bases where the 8 tile damage can destroy 3 layers of walls
- Bases where walls are cleverly placed to avoid the Jump Spell
- Excellent for Trophy Pushers, as it can net you consistent 2 star raids pretty easily with the easy-to-core path that it creates.
- Wars, against specific bases like the popular Nemesis base that tries to avoid the Jump Spell’s radius.
Other important tips for Earthquake Spell
- Four level 4 Earthquake Spells do 40% damage in total to normal buildings, including the Town Hall. So if possible, place down the spells next to the Town Hall, Infernos, and Xbows if possible along with the walls.
- Earthquake Spell weakens walls, and the Wall Breaker loves to target walls that have already been weakened. So always carry some Wall Breakers as insurance if you miss a certain layer.
- The biggest reason to upgrade your Earthquake Spell is because of the added damage to surrounding buildings, and that will make an impact in the long run.