Part 1 of 4: Preparing to Farm
1. Understand the basics of farming.
Farming is a term used to describe attacking weaker towns for their resources. It involves intentionally losing so that you drop down to lower levels, giving you the opportunity to attack weaker opponents. Since Clash of Clans has several systems in place to try to prevent farming, it requires manipulating some things in your favor.
- Farming is based both on trophies and your Town Hall level. You receive penalties for attacking towns that are more than one level below your Town Hall, so you’ll need to balance your level and your trophies. More on that later.
2. Configure your town.
Before you start farming, you will want to ensure that your town is set up properly to both protect your resources and allow you to lose enough to drop down to the level you want to be at. There are several strategies to keep in mind when designing your town.
- Protect your storages. Since you are farming for resources, you don’t want your spoils going to a lucky invader. Place your storages in the center of your town, surrounded by several walls and various defensive buildings.
- Place your Town Hall outside your walls. This may seem like it will hurt, but that’s the whole point. Not only does this give you more room within your walls for storages, it allows other players to quickly lower your trophies, which is essential for staying at the level you want.
- Scatter your resource buildings all over the base. Do not put them together.
- Place high-level resource collectors inside walls and leave the others outside. Keep checking the game after every 6 to 8 hours and collect the resources from the collectors.
3. Get the “Sweet Victory” achievement.
This achievement is awarded after you win a certain number of trophies from multiplayer battles, and gives you almost enough gems to purchase the third Builder’s Hut. This is essential for keeping your town upgraded.
4. Get about 1,100-1,200 trophies.
This is widely considered to be the ideal range for farming, as it allows you to get significant amounts of resources without coming across enemies who are too powerful.If you have very good troops and a strong base you can climb up to 2000-2500 trophies because there you usually find more loot especially dark elixir.
5. Don’t rush to upgrade your Town Hall.
Your Town Hall level dictates the amount of loot you can get from raids on other towns. If you attack a Town Hall two levels below yours, you will only receive 50% of the loot, whereas if you attack a Town hall three levels above yours, you will receive double the loot.
- Max out the upgrades for each of your defensive buildings, army buildings, and walls before upgrading your Town Hall.
- The best Town Hall level for farming is generally 5-7.